Engineering and Manufacturing
Lucix maintains exceptional in house engineering capability spanning the range from systems and subsystems engineering, RF Electronics design, product design, survivability, and test.
Our engineering and management teams have over 350 years combined experience with Space Payload RF Hardware Design, Development, Manufacturing, Test, Systems Engineering and Quality Management.
Lucix engineers are experienced with hardware from 0.1 to 70 GHz in Hi-Reliability Military and Space environments. Microwave design capabilities include thin and thick-film MIC implementations incorporating MMIC and discrete devices utilizing chip-and-wire technology. Component and System design and modeling capabilities include expertise with:
- Frequency Converters and Receivers
- Ultra low noise phase locked dielectric oscillators
- Reference Generators
- Master Local Oscillators
- Amplifiers – Low Noise Amplifiers and Broadband Amplifiers
- Power Monitors
- Central Power Supplies
- Multi-Function Subsystems, involving converters and amplifiers interconnected with switches and filters - formed into microwave repeaters and signal processing assemblies.
Lucix also has substantial expertise in Filters, which are used internal to our frequency converters, amplifiers and oscillators - including dielectric, combline, lumped element and edge coupled.
State of the Art RF, Circuit, and System design modeling and analysis tools are utilized allowing rapid design convergence for quick turn solutions. Some of these tools include:
- Advanced Design System – ADS
- Filter Synthesis
- Solid works
- 3-D electromagnetic simulator (HFSS)
- Converter / Amplifier Analysis Tool
- Gain /Loss budget
- Noise Figure, C/3IM, P1dB, IP3
- Conversion Spurious Products
- Transponder Analysis – Internally Generated
- Gain / Loss / Noise Figure / C/3IM
- Spurious Generation & Rejection
- AM/PM Transfer and Conversion
- Phase Noise / Integrated Jitter
- Communications Link
- Mass & Power
Detailed analyses are frequently required to provide assured long-life system success. Lucix engineers are highly experienced at performing such analyses, and iterating designs to achieve specification compliance.
- Worst Case Circuit (WCCA)
- Parts Stress and Derating
- Reliability / MTBF
- Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality (FMECA)
- Single Event Effects
- Radiation / Total Dose
- Internal Electrostatic Discharge Analysis
- Electrostatic Discharge Input / Output Analysis
- Mass Properties
- Mechanical Stress
- Volatile Condensable Material Mass (Outgassing)
Manufacturing and Test
Lucix’s State-of-the-Art Manufacturing Facilities are ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100:2009 certified and compatible with producing hardware consistent with today’s stringent Space and Military Quality Requirements.
Class 10,000 clean rooms, with class 1,000 capability are utilized for chip-and-wire assembly, in support of our Space programs. Careful attention is paid to compliance with all ESD and Contamination Control standards and specifications for the technologies involved. Detailed incoming, in-process, and final inspections are performed by highly trained, NASA certified Quality Inspectors, Assemblers and Technicians throughout the facility. All Incoming metallic parts and materials for use in deliverable Space Hardware receive 100% XRF Screening for Prohibited Materials and Tin/Lead Content.
MIC MODULE / HYBRID MANUFACTURING:
- 10,000 sq.ft. Class 10,000 Clean Rooms
- Separate Facilities for Amplifier Modules, and DROs, Mixers and switches
- Automatic Wire-Bond and Epoxy Dispense facilitates high thru-put and performance and quality repeatability.
Lucix environmental laboratories provide multiple thermal test chambers for component burn-in, thermal cycling, bake-out, and accelerated life testing. Vibration and Shock facilities are utilized for both qualification and acceptance screening as required. Thermal vacuum facilities are utilized as required for qualification and acceptance testing of Space hardware.
For: LNAs, Converters, Receivers, Reference Generators / MLOs / MROs, Power Monitors, CPSUs
- Thru-put: 60 units per month.
- 10 MHz to 70 GHz Measurement Range
- Multiple Vibration, Thermal Cycle and Burn-In Stations
- State-of-the-Art Phase Noise Measurement Capability / Screen Room
- Six TV Test Stations Each fully equipped to test all Lucix unit types. Each Station tests 1 to 6 units simultaneously in TV conditions.
- Net thru-put: up to 60 units per month
For Qualification: Multiple outside facilities for full EMI/EMC and Pyroshock